Join   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In
News & Press: Member News

Attorney saves two boys who fell through ice

Friday, January 5, 2018   (0 Comments)
Share |

Times Leader

 by Ed Lewis


Attorney saves two boys who fell through ice


KINGSTON — Attorney Gregory Fellerman has a nice view of Kirby Park from his second floor office on Market Street.

That view most likely saved the life of a 12-year-old boy.

Fellerman was on the telephone looking out his office window at Kirby Park just after 12 p.m. Thursday when he noticed two boys on ice that formed on the pond.

Then all of a sudden, Fellerman said he saw one boy fall through the ice and the other boy attempting to save him.

“There was nobody in the park except for these two boys walking on the ice,” Fellerman said. “Because they were on the ice, somehow I took note and kept watching. They were about 20 to 25 feet from the shoreline then one of the boys went straight through the ice up to his chin.”

Fellerman knew the boy was in trouble as temperatures were in the mid-teens and wind chills in the single digits early Thursday afternoon. Fellerman said he saw the boy crawl onto the ice as the other boy also fell through up to his waist.

Fellerman quickly ended his phone call and quickly grabbed his cell phone and coat running downstairs in his office building telling attorney Jim Haggerty to call 911.

Running across Market Street, Fellerman said the boy had taken off his pants and began riding a scooter toward Market Street.

“I told myself, ‘This isn’t good,’” Fellerman said. “This boy only had on socks, underwear and a soaked jacket.”

Fellerman whistled to the boy to get his attention.

“He was very scared but was very composed, but he wasn’t going to last for how cold it was,” Fellerman said.

Fellerman walked the boy to his office building as Haggerty comforted the boy with a blanket and hot tea. Fellerman went back to the park to get the other boy who was drenched to his waist.

“Talk about being scary, we’re told at an early age to stay off ice,” Fellerman said. “I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, but when it happened, I just knew I had to help and make sure they were both okay.”

Wilkes-Barre paramedics evaluated the two boys in Haggerty’s office. After about 45 minutes, the two boys left with one of their grandmother’s.

“Thank God it wasn’t worse,” Fellerman said.

Copyright 2015, Pennsylvania Association for justice
Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal